(814) 677-1214 or (814) 432-3166

Daugherty Brothers Real Estate

Search More

HISTORY OF DAUGHERTY BROTHERS REAL ESTATE:

                               Two Offices to Serve You


235 Seneca Street
Oil City, Pa. 16301
Phone: (814) 677-1214
FAX: (814) 677-1218
1190 Elk Street
Franklin, Pa. 16323
Phone: (814) 432-3166


The “Daugherty” name has now been associated with Venango County real estate for 7 decades. James E. E. Daugherty, a 1940 graduate of Cranberry High School and the patriarch of what is known today as Daugherty Brothers Real Estate, began working in the real estate business in 1940.

He did not, however, hone his interest into a career choice until 1943. An employee in the real estate department of The Oil City Trust Company, he was charged with the responsibility of disposing of bank-owned property for commission. His business acumen proved to be a forte.

 

Having attended a Franklin business school, he realized his hands-on proficiency while with the trust company. Mr. Daugherty went on to become licensed with a nationwide brokerage firm that is still in existence today. He sold developed and undeveloped property, independent of the bank, from offices on Oil City’s Wilson Avenue and in Cranberry.

 

In 1948, Mr. Daugherty teamed with the late Sidney Beers to form Daugherty & Beers Enterprises. The business specialized in insurance as well as real estate. The new business blanketed northwestern Pennsylvania. Offices were maintained at 8 Seneca Street (on the second floor of the Beers Building), with others in Franklin, Titusville, Clarion, Emlenton, Sharon and Warren.

 

Mr. Daugherty bought Beers’ interest in 1953 and streamlined his operation to include only Oil City, Franklin and Titusville offices. In addition to reducing the number of offices, Mr. Daugherty dropped insurance sales in 1961 to fully concentrate on the real estate business.

 

Mr. Beers purchased the Sharon office and Dick Stahlman, a former employee, purchased the Warren office, while Joe Lamenski, another employee, bought the Titusville office in 1962.

The other Daugherty offices, except the one in Franklin, were consolidated into the Oil City office.

He relocated the Oil City office to 10 Seneca St., on the first floor of the Beers Building, in 1953.

He again changed locations in 1965 when the business was moved to 214 Seneca Street, on the ground floor of the National Transit Building. Daugherty Enterprises occupied that space through July 1977. The 1965 relocation was necessitated due to a downtown urban renewal project.

 

In the late 1950’s, Mr. Daugherty’s two oldest sons, James L. and William P., had begun working for their father during summers and on weekends. James L. Daugherty earned his license to perform the duties of a real estate salesperson in 1963. A year later, his brother William was licensed as well.

Eighteen years later (1982), the youngest brother, Scott, was licensed, thus rounding off the second generation to serve full time in the family business. In August 1967 James E. E. Daugherty died at age 43, leaving behind a business that has excelled in assisting the families and businesses of Venango County with all aspects of their real estate needs from that time on. A third generation of the Daugherty family business is represented by William’s son, Todd J. Daugherty, who has recently returned to the area from Chicago, where he had been in the newspaper business.

 

The Oil City office once again relocated in 1977 to 235 Seneca Street (the present location), when Daugherty Brothers Real Estate purchased and remodeled the former Hewitt Building.

The Daugherty family had maintained a Franklin branch office at various locations from about 1950 through 1989, when the firm purchased and remodeled the former Community Ambulance building located at 1190 Elk Street (behind the Venango County Courthouse at the corner of Elk and 12th Streets). This modern facility continues to be the present location of the Franklin branch.

 

Through the years, the Daugherty name and the Daugherty family has represented a tradition of excellence and professionalism in the Venango County real estate industry.